The Cost & Consequences of Security Complexity Study: Ponemon Institute Research
The Ponemon Institute surveyed 589 security professionals to study the impact of complexity on enterprise security posture. The purpose of the research is to understand the reasons behind the growing complexity of companies’ IT security architecture and how it is affecting their ability to respond to cyber threats. Too much complexity, as shown in this research, can impact the ability to respond to cyber threats. In order to be able to protect organizations from cyber threats, 68% of respondents believe it is essential or very important to reduce complexity within their IT security architecture.
See what research shows are the biggest drives of complexity. Are you able to identify the warning signs? Who should be held accountable in your organization for addressing the implications of security architecture?
Complexity seems unstoppable. Read the study to better understand how effective the “typical” IT security architecture is in reducing cyber threats and if new approaches are needed.
The Cost and Consequences of Security Complexity: New Ponemon Institute Research Identifies 8 Best Practices
Several security technologies are delivering value..
- Security intelligence systems including SIEM (56%)
- Mobile device management (49%)
- Identity and authentication systems (49%)
But security technologies introduce complexity..
- Our company has lost money on poor investments in enabling security technologies (72%)
- Recent purchases of enabling security technologies have made it more complicated to deal with threats (61%)
..and security technologies fail because of complexity
- The technology was overly complex and too difficult to operate (63%)
- Lack of in-house expertise to deploy and manage the technology (54%)
- Poor vendor support and service (48%)